Monday, December 24, 2012

The Fourth Sunday of Advent

Growing up the daughter of a Methodist minister, everything in our house was related to church. Heck, our house even BELONGED to the church.  We were at every event, every dinner, every service.  As we got older, they weren't so much command performances, but expectations.  

After I got married I realized that not every family attends every event at church. As a matter of fact, I feel guilty a lot of times, feeling like I'm not raising my boys as intensely rooted in the church as I was.  I mean, we aren't at every service or meal.  Thankfully Brantley helps me get over this. 

Holidays are one of the times I feel this pressure the most.  For several years it didn't seem like Christmas because we would miss a Sunday in Advent.  I would miss a lesson about the Chrismons, or the lighting of a candle. 

Anyway, I digress.   The point is that we missed the services for the first three Sundays in Advent, for one thing or another.  Primarily being that our entire family has been wiped out and fighting colds for what seems like a month. The only person who has escaped it is Henry, and he's been cutting teeth!

So, Sunday we finally made it.  Daddy was off (YIPPEEEEEE!) in the morning and made it so much easier to get out the door.  And of course, the boys had to look their best!

Brantley just strikes me as a young man, not a little boy anymore.  

Good thing I still have Henry to dress in cute little suits, knee socks and saddles.  Big Brantley lets me dress the boys like this for about a year.  Then it stops. 

The service was beautiful, although saddened by the events of the past week.  It made the hymn, "O come all ye faithful" so much more appropriate. 


After church, Brantley finally found Elfie!




 And this morning, on his final day with us, he made Brant and Henry into Rudolph!  Silly Elfie!



Brantley's gift to Henry.  This just melts my heart!

Sweet Henry 

No comments: